09 February 2011

sing to your baby

I like singing.

I have been singing to the little one since she could hear and even before that.

Call me a control freak but I would like to have some influence over the style of music my little one likes.

My dad played folk music to me in the womb and sung the old hymn "Jerusalem." I find I now have a deep love for beautiful Irish music.. not so sure about Jerusalem but it was worth a try?

Here are the little ones top five songs.

1. I've Got You Under My Skin - Jazz standard

I like it cos I've got her under my skin.


2. Tea and the Toast - Clare Bowditch


3. Jesus Paid It All - Passion


4. Down to the River to Pray - Old Timey Hymn

5. The very thought of you - Jazz standard

I sing her a lot of folk and jazz. I've heard that babies like soft pretty music and hide from things like heavy metal. I think this makes complete sense. I hide from heavy metal too.

She especially likes it when I play my guitar. (I say likes because she kicks around. This could really be her hating it and trying to beat me so I stop but let's say it means she likes it.) I have been playing at church through the whole pregnancy and have now developed a side guitar hold that accommodates my bump.

I hope she will be a lover of music. I fully intend to have compulsory family Sound of Music singing sessions on long car trips. I'd love her to learn a musical instrument and I hope that the washing up is always combined with the sound of whipping towels and beautiful harmonies.

2 comments:

Dad said...

And did those feet in ancient times
Walk upon England's mountains green
And did the holy lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen

I like singing too.

André de Jonge said...

Singing is good for everyone. I love singing I've got you under my skin. Great song. Have a listen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqY-MuIdud0 . All the best in the coming weeks, I hope it all goes smoothly for you both, sorry three.
André de Jonge

You might also like to read...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...